We invite you to join the celebration of the first All-Ukrainian Human Responsibility Day!
This year, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted the Resolution “On the Establishment of the All-Ukrainian Human Responsibility Day”, which will be celebrated annually on October 19th.
What is this day and its goal?
The All-Ukrainian Human Responsibility Day is a national day that will be celebrated annually starting from 2021, on October 19th – the date of birth of Bohdan Hawrylyshyn’s, the author of the “Declaration of Human Responsibilities“.
The goal of the day is to spread responsible behavior in the society to reach rapid positive change at the national level and beyond, as well as to commemorate the great Ukrainian Dr. Bohdan Hawrylyshyn. The day was established thanks to the initiative of the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation, further supported by the Ukrainian Parliament.
What is the history of the Human Responsibility Day?
Being a Member of the Board of Trustees of the World Academy of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Bohdan Hawrylyshyn concluded in early 2010s that one of the prerequisites for the implementation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1948, was the awareness and acceptance of individual responsibility at all levels. In 2014, the professor created a meaningful and concise document, “The Declaration of Human Responsibilities”. It contained 15 points that reflected different levels of responsibility, from personal to national and global ones. These points can serve as a guide to establish a more democratic, inclusive and efficient society.
Ukraine has become the first country in the world to adopted the Human Responsibility Day as a national holiday. From 2022, the team of the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation together with partners will initiate the process of establishing of the International Human Responsibility Day.
How can you join the celebration of the Human Responsibility Day?
As an individual:
- Internet flashmob “I am responsible”. On October 19th, write a post on social media what the term “responsibility” means to you and what responsible dids you are most proud of. Use hashtags #I_act_responsibly #ResponsibilityDay.
- Internet flashmob “5 responsible friends”. Write a post on social networks and tag 5 (or more) friends whom you consider the most responsible. Explain your choice and pass the initiative to the friends whom you tagged. This way we will thank our heroes and introduce responsible people to each other. Use hashtags #I_act_responsibly #ResponsibilityDay
- Spreading the information. Share information about the first Human Responsibility Day with your friends and colleagues. You can do it via social networks, in private offline discussions, in groups or chats, etc.
We would be thanksful if you could tag the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation in your posts (our pages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter). So we can read each other’s stories and be inspired to take responsible actions.
As an organization:
- Create a list of responsible actions that your organization plans to do over the next year. Just imagine how rewarding you will feel when writing your next annual report, that will include so many implemented responsible actions.
- Tell about your organization’s responsibility. If you have already taken enough responsible actions this year – do not hesitate to tell about them and even report on them publicly. Your example can motivate others!
- On the 19th of October, on the Human Responsibility Day, share information about responsible actions and future plans of your organization on social networks, as well as what the term “responsibility” means to your organization. Use hashtags #I_act_responsibly #ResponsibilityDay.
Please tag the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation in your posts, so that we could know more about the responsible initiatives and inspire other organizations to take responsible actions. Our pages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
On the community level:
- On the 19th of October, on the Human Responsibility Day, share information about responsible actions and future plans of your community on social networks, as well as what the term “responsibility” means to your community. Use hashtags #I_act_responsibly #ResponsibilityDay and tag the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation (we are on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
You might wish also to organize one of the following activities. We do not limit you to these ideas, We wish to inspire you to think about activities that could unite your community around the topic of responsibility.
- Plogging for 1.5 km. Plogging is a combination of ecological and fitness movements, which combines running at a leisurely pace and garbage collection along the route. The implementation of this activity covers several points of the Declaration of Human Responsibilities. In addition, this movement is a modern alternative to a traditional “subbotnik”. 1.5 km is a symbolic distance where every 100 meters = one of the 15 points of the Declaration of Human Responsibilites.
- Time capsule. Do you want your name to go down in history? We offer you to do it. What changes in the state/community would you like to see in the next 5 years? What contribution are you personally ready to make to implement these changes? Describe them and place in a “time capsule”. The capsule could be buried for 5 years to be opened in 2026.
Let’s do small and big steps to inspire each other to take responsible actions and keep the fire of positive changes!
It is important to remember that every day is a day of responsibility! May October 19th be the day of the year when you praise yourself for every manifestation of your personal responsibility.
Maksym Nesvitailov, coordinator of the All-Ukrainian Human Responsibility Day initiative, +380975137498, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marianna Yeleiko, communication manager of the Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation, +380506701510, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Family Foundation is a charitable organization founded in 2017 by the wife and children of a prominent Ukrainian, world-famous economist and visionary Dr. Bohdan Hawrylyshyn. The main mission of the fund is to support young change agents for the sustainable development of value-oriented Ukraine. Website: bhfamily.org, social networks: https://www.facebook.com/bhfamily.org, https://www.instagram.com/hawrylyshyn_family_fund